Popular Services

Used to process requests to add or remove ES staff from TeamDynamix and ES ticketing groups.

This form is for incoming freshman for an upcoming term. This form is NOT for current students in attendance that are wishing to change a previously declared major.

Students who wish to remove a major, minor or certificate program should use this form.

If you are a student who has previously attended the University of Nevada, Reno but have had a lapse in enrollment, you must complete the Returning Student Re-Activation form to be considered for admission.

Assistance with the application process, eligibility, awards, financial aid forms, scholarships, disbursements, and general financial aid questions.

Please complete this form to notify us of your intent to graduation from your current Commmunity College.

Please complete this form if you are interested in applying to the Silver State Transfer, Co-Admission program.

Assistance for instructors needing to complete FERPA training or academic departments who need student workers/TAs be added into the FERPA training course.

Please submit this form if you have met with your current academic advisor and no longer wish to participate in the Silver State Transfer Program.

If you are unsure of which category you should use, please use this form and we will direct your ticket to the appropriate resource.

Assistance for prospective and current graduate students regarding graduate admission requirements, status of admission application, and graduate specific To Do List and Holds.

Students wishing to make changes to their Math/English course enrollment must fill out this request.

Support for recently admitted undergraduate freshmen, transfer students, and parents regarding Orientation.

Please complete this form to confirm you would like to become a Co-Admission student for the term you applied for.

¿Tienes Preguntas? Si necesita un representante que hable español, favor de llenar este formulario con su correo electrónico, número telefónico y su(s) pregunta(s) y nos pondremos en contacto con usted.

If you are in need of a Spanish speaking representative, please fill out this form with your email, phone number, and question and we will be in touch.

Assistance for current or former students on how to order an official or unofficial transcript, checking the status of an order placed, or why an order is not able to be processed.

Questions from current or former students regarding their records or registration, enrollment issues, updating of personal information, MyNEVADA access issues.

This appeal is only for students who have previously paid the graduation application fee for the same degree in a previous term.

Questions from current or former students regarding MyNEVADA access issues.